Partly cloudy · 18°
Find helpful forms and resources for obtaining your marriage license.
You may apply for a marriage license at any County Recorder’s office in Iowa as long as the ceremony is performed in Iowa.
To apply for a Marriage License in the Recorder’s Office:
- The couple and one witness (must be 18 years or older) must appear in person,
- All three must present valid photo identification (driver’s license or government-issued ID),
- $35.00 fee includes a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate. Cash or check only accepted for vital records.
- When coming to our office to apply for your Marriage License, please keep in mind our hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. unless you call ahead and make other arrangements.
- To apply by mail, contact our office at 641-324-2734 or email [email protected] and we can send you the necessary forms or answer any questions.
There is a waiting period before the License is issued and before the actual marriage may occur. Please see the chart below.
|Date of Application||Valid Date of Certificate|
Once the marriage has been performed and the Certificate of Marriage has been returned to the Recorder’s office and placed on record, a certified copy will be mailed to the couple. The couple will use this certified copy for any name change after marriage (social security information and driver’s license, etc.).