Snowmobile, ATV, and ORV renewals are due on December 31, 2022. Please note, our offices are closed on December 30.
1000 Central Ave.
Northwood, IA 50459
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
In 1839 the office of the County Recorder was created by the First Legislative Assembly of the Territory of Iowa. Our office continues to maintain official records of documents that affect title to real estate in Worth County. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office and affects the County Auditor's Office, County Assessor's Office, and County Treasurer's Office.
One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder's Office. Instruments that are recorded are not only important for today, but serve as a historical library for all of the tomorrows.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Land and record management
- Provides licenses, registrations, and applications
- Registrar for vital records
- Collects real estate transfer tax on conveyances of property, a portion of which is retained in Worth County's general fund
- Collects and reports auditor's fee on transfer of property
- Certifies recorder's records
- In the office, makes records available for genealogy research
- Files detailed reports monthly and annually to the county and to state agencies
- Plus a variety of other duties