Veteran Affairs

The Commission of Veteran Affairs (previously known as Soldiers and Sailors Relief) was established in 1884 by an act of the Iowa General Assembly, and is identified as Chapter 35 of the Iowa Code.

The purpose of this act is to create and administer a fund for the relief of and burial of honorably discharged indigent men and women who served in the military forces of the United States during actual wartime.  Also to assist and represent all veterans in obtaining benefits available under the Veterans Administration program or any other source of assistance.  The Commission is managed by veterans for veterans.

How Commission is Funded

The Veteran Affairs Office is included in the General Basic Fund.  Funds are appropriated based upon county property taxes actually collected.

Wartime Dates Designating Eligibility

World War I - April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918
World War II - December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
Korean Conflict - June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955
Vietnam Conflict - December 22, 1961 to May 7, 1975
Persian Gulf - August 2, 1990 through a date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation

All dates are inclusive and set by an act of the legislature.

Who is Eligible For Financial Assistance?

Veterans who have served at least one day on active duty within the dates of eligibility and who have been honorably discharged or discharged under honorable conditions.  This also includes widows and children under 18 years of age, of eligible veterans.

When applying for assistance, applicant must have certified copy (or original) of their discharge or separation papers (DD214).  It is important that we know the actual dates of service and the conditions under which the applicant was discharged.

Each applicant will be judged on an individual basis, however, all applicants must meet our policy guidelines.  this could cover food, rent, utilities, drugs, limited medical, or whatever else may be of importance; including transportation to and from VA Medical Centers and the Iowa Veteran's Home.

Who is Eligible for Services?

All veterans and their families who are eligible for financial assistance, plus all others who are or have been in military service at anytime.  The only disqualifications would be a dishonorable of undesirable discharge.  We will assist veterans with pensions, compensation, insurance, Chapmus, hospitalization, medical care, Aid and Attendance, nursing home care, loan, education, Iowa Veterans Home applications, and other VA forms.

The Veterans Administration Regional Office is located in Des Moines.  They serve Iowa veterans with a toll free number:  1-800-827-1000.  The Mason City Outpatient Clinic at Mercy Medical Center North Iowa, 520 South Pierce, Suite #150, Mason City, IA 50402 also serves veterans; call 641-421-8077 or toll-free 1-800-351-4671.

Local Service Organizations

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW):  Northwood
American Legion:  Manly, Northwood, Grafton
Disabled American Veterans (DAV):  Mason City
AM Vets:  Clear Lake

Department of Veteran Affairs:
Regional Office (Des Moines)
1-800-363-2222 (toll free)

Cerro Gordo County Commission of Veteran Affairs:
Rosetta Waychus, Director

Guidelines on Who Is Eligible For Veterans Benefits In Worth County:

Being a legal resident of Worth County.  Residency shall be defined to mean that a domicile has been established with the intent to remain, which may be demonstrated by a drivers license, apartment rental (i.e. rent receipts), enrollment of children in school, registration to vote, or other indicators of good faith residence.